Installing BCDS Printers: Windows XP
1. Click on the Start button . From the Start Menu, select the Control Panel.
2. From the Control Panel, select Printers and Fax.
3. Select Add a Printer from left hand-side menu.
4. The installation wizard will pop up. Click on Next.
5. Select Local printer attached to this computer. Make sure Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer is NOT checked.
7. We will create a new port for your network printer. Select Create a new port.
8. Beside Type of Port, click on the down arrow, then click on Standard TCP/IP Port.
9. Click Next to continue.
10. A new Add Printer Port Wizard will open. Click Next to continue.
11. You must now type your printer's IP Address in the Printer Name or IP Address field (see Step 6 for IP address).
You will need to know the printers' model and IP address to continue.
Consult our list of public printers (for faculty, staff, an students), as well as our private printers (faculty and staff only) to determine the IP address of the printer you want to install so you can locate it on the list populated by the printing wizard.
For example: I want to install the Help Desk Printer. It's specifications (which are found on the above list) are:
IP Address: 10.25.0.20
Model: laserjet 2300dn
12. The Port Name will automatically be filled when you enter the IP Address. Do not change the Port Name.
13. Click Next to continue.
14. Windows XP will scan the network to find your printer's IP Address. This may take a few seconds. Select Finish to continue.
15. You must now select the printer's manufacturer and model. Windows XP will automatically select the detected manufacturer and printer driver. Normally, you will not have to change this selection.
For examples (and see above, step 11):
Middle School Help Desk
Model: laserjet 2300dn
16. You will be prompted to confirm the selected printer driver. Make sure Keep existing driver is selected, then click Next to continue.
NOTE: If you cannot locate the driver from the list populated for you by the wizard, please find the appropriate driver for the printer you want to install from this list. Locate the drivers, as well as instructions on how to install and run them, by clicking here.
17. You will be prompted to assign the printer a Name. Call it Help Desk.
18. Select Yes if you want to use the printer as the default printer. Click Next to continue.
19. You will be prompted to share the network printer. Do NOT share the network printer.
20. Click Next to continue.
21. You will be prompted to print a test page. Select Yes, then click Next.
22. Check your network printer to make sure your page printed. Select Yes when prompted to confirm a successful test page.
23. Click on the Finish button to complete the Add Printer Wizard.